Action-adventure is the wide genre of video games, that combines the elements of action games and adventure games. It means, that in action-adventures the gamers get very tense plot, as in most actions, but also need to solve different puzzles during the gaming process. In action games the scenario and variety of characters is not important, but in action-adventure games, as well as in other adventures, the plot needs to be well thought-out and exciting. Also comprehensive dialogues are typical for the action-adventure genre.
As we have already mentioned, puzzles are an important element in action-adventure games, but usually they are rather simple in comparison with usual adventure game. For example, you may need to find the way out from the room or the way, how to outwit your opponent.
Action-adventure games for PC and consoles are the mix of different elements and genres, and so this type of video games is rather frequent and common. So often together with action-adventure the developers use other accurate definition, for example, survival horror action-adventure or action-adventure with open-world.
Genres Games by genres
- Action (710)Strategy (317)Racing (195)Turn-based strategy (112)Survival horror (66)Tower Defense (30)
- Traditional (431)First-person shooter (309)Sports (173)Arcade (101)Flight (64)Hunting (18)
- RPG (420)Puzzle (278)Action-adventure (161)Third-person shooter (99)Life simulation game (50)Extreme sports (2)
- Simulation (393)Shooter (274)Platformer (148)Economic Simulation (85)Games for kids (43)
- Adventure (372)Real-time strategy (226)Online Games (121)Fighting (78)Stealth (38)